The First Closed Body Automobile
In an Ironical twist the founder of Lincoln developed the first closed body automobile, but it was a Cadillac. Henry Leland, who took over the Henry Ford Company in 1902 and later establish the Cadillac Automobile Company, developed a prototype in 1905 called the Osceola that offered solid protection from the outside elements.
Some called it a little black building on wheels and others thought he was crazy. The Osceola’s body was built under the supervision of Fred J. Fisher, who would later pioneer the Fisher Body.
The Osceola was named after a Seminole Chief and was for the personal use of Leland. It was 5″ taller than it was long. The car was know to tip over at higher speeds, but due to the weight, people would just flip it back over and the trip resumed.
Photo Credit: All photos herein are the property of AP Images and northDsports.com and were published by MyclassicNEWS with their permission and consent. All content herein, other than property published by permission, is the property of myclassicnews.com and any reproduction, other than normal social media sharing, is strictly prohibited. Copyright ©, myclassicnews.com. For reprint permission contact us at email@example.com